Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Olympic Special - Men's Hockey Simulation Results

Living in Canada it is hard not to get the olympic bug and no bigger hype than that of Hockey. So I decided to try running a simulation for the tournaments final 4 teams (Canada, US, Sweden, Finland).

It is obviously a low number of games and the inconsistency of the model is through the roof. I was even lucky the whole model converged. I thought of adding other tournament or recent friendly games but those always have different players and seem irrelevant in this case. I will update the post later this week for the medal games.

Bottom line - even less than the NFL simulations take this for a grain of salt. Still fun to do anyway.

Simulation Results

Note: This is their probability of being the best team in the tournament. 

Gold: Sweden 44% (USA-26%, Canada-14%, Finland-4%)

Silver: USA 29%

Bronze: Canada 15%


PS- I hope the model is wrong. Go Canada Go!





No comments:

Post a Comment